1. Parents should keep their own anxieties in check and do their best to model coping strategies.
2. Parents should watch their "safety language” and catastrophic statements such as “this will never end” or “You don’t want to be one of the millions who live or die” These raise the level of anxiety.
3. Parent should keep discussions about employment and money to themselves and not involve or discuss them in front of the children.
4. Limit media consumption- (news feeds, radio and tv)- to once or twice a day.
5. Everyone should ask for help when they need it, it is a sign of strength not of weakness no matter what your age.
6. Keep as close as possible to a schedule for waking, sleeping and mealtimes. Involve the kids in the menu planning and meal preparation.
7. Chores are good for everyone to do.
8. Answer you child’s questions with age appropriate information. Let them know you are there to listen if they have questions or want to talk, but take the lead from them.
9. Focus on the NOW. Today we will……
10. Find joy and gratitude in the small moments: board games, planting a garden, baking cookies etc.